Southampton Marine Job Vacancies
Vacancy Reference: ABP0030
Job Title: MMO 2 VTS Radar Operative
Reporting to: VTS Watch Manager
Essential Skills and Experience
• Maritime background or commercial port experience
• Clear, concise communicator with ability to liaise with personnel and outside bodies at all levels
• Able to work as part of a team but also using own initiative to take command of situations effectively, efficiently and calmly
• Demonstrate good decision making skills
• Willingness to work a shift pattern. Also flexibility with regards to duties and working hours is essential
• Full UK driving licence
Ideal Skills and Experience
• V-103/1 vessel traffic services certification log.
• Standards of Training, Certification and watch keeping for Seafarers 95 officer of the watch deck certificate or Ministry of defence equivalent.
• Global maritime distress and safety system restricted operator certificate
• Good working Knowledge of the Central, Eastern Solent and Southampton Water
• To act principally as a VTS Operator (including Data Centre) with additional duties either as part of the Berthing Office team or alternatively (depending on company requirements) manning the Ports Pilot /Patrol launches
• Surveillance and monitoring of vessels in the VTS area by RADAR, AIS, CCTV and VHF for the purpose of safe navigation and protection of the environment
• To maintain a good understanding of the PUNG, LNTM, Bye Laws and the Pilotage Directions. To inform the VTSWM if such guidelines or directions are not followed
• To keep the ports booking system PAVIS updated with relevant information. Using AOL the agent’s online booking system and other sources of information
• Attend all possible arrival and movements of ships in the docks, communicating all necessary information to Pilots and VTS
• Ensure statutory regulations and port bye laws are complied with including safe access to ships
• Assisting the coxswain in operating and maintaining the ports Pilot/Patrol launches as required.
• Assisting the Berthing team with fender moves and additional duties as directed by the harbour control manager
Applications should be submitted by: Friday 26th August 2016
If you wish to be considered for this vacancy, please advise your manager and ask them to confirm in writing via email or counter-sign your application form. You can complete the application form and apply on line by going to the ABP website careers page http://www.abports.co.uk/Careers/. If you don’t have access to the internet, then you will need to contact the ABP recruitment team who will provide you will the application form.
Telephone: 0808 164 2227
All external applicants who wish to apply will need to apply online and complete the online application form by following the link http://www.abports.co.uk/Careers/ or contact the ABP recruitment team on 01256 383737
Please note that we do not wish to fill this position via an agency. Please do not make unsolicited approaches with reference to the above post.