Southampton Marine Job Vacancies
Job Title: Multi Purpose Marine Operative 2
Location: Southampton/Gosport or other within the VTS area as directed by HM, HCM or VTSWM
Reporting to: VTS Watch Manager
• V-103 qualification, as well as COC (Deck) / MOD equivalent. Or must be willing to gain V-103 qualification.
• Must have a Maritime background, or commercial port experience
• Working knowledge of the Central, Eastern Solent and Southampton Water would be desirable
• Clear, concise communicator with the ability to liaise with personnel and outside bodies at all levels
• Must have the ability to work as part of a team but also be able to use own initiative to take command of situations effectively, efficiently and calmly
• Must be able to demonstrate good decision making skills
• Willingness to work shift pattern. Flexibility is required with regards to duties and working hours.
• A flexible multi skilled marine role, principally as a VTS Operator (including the Data Centre) with additional duties either as part of the Berthing Office team or alternatively (depending on company requirements) manning the Ports Pilot/Patrol launches
• The surveillance and monitoring of vessels in the VTS area by RADAR, AIS, CCTV and VHF for the purpose of safe navigation and protection of the environment
• To assist the VTSWM in the timely and efficient allocation of pilots to vessels
• To maintain a good understanding of the PUNG, LNTM, By-Laws and the Pilotage Directions. To inform the VTSWM if such guidelines or directions are not followed
• To keep the ports booking system, PAVIS, updated with relevant information. Using AOL the agents online booking system and other sources of information
• To attend all possible arrivals and movements of ships in the docks, communicating all necessary information to Pilots and VTS
• To ensure statutory regulations and port by-laws are complied with including safe access to ships
• To assist the Marine Officer in operating and maintaining the ports Pilot/Patrol launches as required.
• To assist the Berthing team with fender moves
Applications should be submitted by: Friday 29th May 2015
If you wish to be considered for this vacancy, please advise your manager and ask him/her to counter-sign your application form. The Internal application form can be downloaded from the ABP Web site or is obtainable from your Personnel Department. (Note this form is only available from computers on the ABP network)
Only applications submitted on an ABP application form will be considered. Please also submit a full CV and a covering letter. The form can be downloaded from the Associated British Ports web site, or you may request a copy from the Personnel Department, ABP Southampton, Ocean Gate, Atlantic Way, SO14 3QN.
Please note that we do not wish to fill this position via an agency. Please do not make unsolicited approaches with reference to the above post.